Sunday, October 19, 2008

Gatineau Loop


I did my link up again. This time with no mechanicals and so I was much faster. It was also much colder. I wore neoprene booties and a skull cap much of the day, but it warmed up enough in the afternoon to melt my GORP. While most of the trail is smooth fire road, there are some noteworthy technical climbs, and after six hours of riding I can actually get in about 4,800 vertical feet, which is comparable to the vertical X time profile of the Wasatch Crest to Mid-Mountain loop in Park City. After this second visit, the rustic equestrian path section that rides through the lowland cow fields south of the park is now my favorite place in Ottawa.

2 comments:

Counterintuitive said...

Meant to comment when I read this a few days ago and didn't, but was then reminded when you commented on my blog:

At times I've thought of myself as kind of tough (I started the wasatch 100, completed many mountain trail races, biked to the top of Snowbasin etc) and then I read about your adventures (filled with technical know-how, mountaineering, mud, single gears) and I realize my feats are mere scamperings on the edges of civilization. I bow before thee, thankful I never quite got the chance to mt bike with you.

Unknown said...

You are too humble. When is the Wasatch 100 not bragable? We like adventure here at rockwall, but with the exception of Ben, none of use are exceptional athletes. I don't know about physical preparation. I've never been able to "train" consistently for anything. I finish middle of the pack in cyclocross races. I've collapsed in the snow during the Elk Mountain Traverse. I've ran away after four of the 30 pitches on the Nose of El Capitan. My list of Rookie, out-of-my-league, experiences is long and storied. I've loved most of it, except for Elk Mountain near the end. That went beyond, to a place I don't want to return to.