Saturday, February 14, 2009

Deep Snow

It's been an interesting winter in Utah - for a while, there was some question that Utah may have somehow turned into Colorado or the Northwest. These last couple days have made things clear it's still Utah.

Yesterday before work, I made a solo ski of Coalpit #4. It turned out to be the best conditions I've yet encountered in a chute - 3000+ feet of stable, soft snow about knee deep. It wasn't blower powder as some sluffing had occurred, but it was incredible snow to be skiing in a chute (and my skin track through the choke was comical).

Today Will and I skied the Cabin Run on Gobbler's Knob - visibility wasn't so good and the wind was picking up, so we only took one run (the weather forecast for tomorrow calls for clear skies, so we'll be going back with a camera in tow). This was the probably deepest skiable snow I've ever encountered - thigh to crotch deep but still turnable. Amazing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes. I envy you guys. I look forward to pictures.

Ben said...

Oh, and the only track in Coalpit #4 was mine.

Ben said...

Will forgot to bring his camera today - too bad since it was a crystal clear day will incredible views.

We had the Cabin Run on Gobbler's to ourselves this morning and skied a couple of 1100' laps in very nice powder.