Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fortress of Solitude

My basement is set up as a training facility where I find new levels of "sensations" in my legs, or so Justin would call it. I sooped up my magnetic resistance trainer by adding extra magnets. Because I am heavier than the average cyclist, I pump out more Watts, and it throws me outside the calibrated linear power band of the resistance unit. I can get plenty tired, but the only way to redline myself is with high cadence speed work. All low-cadence out-of-the-saddle climbing on the thing is fairly mellow till I figure out a way to add more resistance.



Pedaling in a basement is sometimes boring though. I parked a laptop with speakers and either pop in a DVD, or blare music.



For variety, once a week I go to a spin class, where I can do a more power oriented workout on the big bikes that do big resistance. I am lucky enough to live down the street from Cyclelogik, a bike store/coffee shop/art gallery that caters to racers and triathletes, selling bikes, hosting spin classes, providing coaching, and biometric assays like lactate threshold and VO2max-type stuff.

No comments: