Monday, November 17, 2008

Cross Update


I was bummed to be financially unable to come down and race south of the border with Justin, but I've been keeping busy crossing in Ottawa. I race in the masters A category (now that I am in my 30s), which races along side the elite men and women, and the extremely fast juniors. Since giving my bike two gears, I don't think I've gained much of an advantage. It has made riding a bit more fun though. The high gear I had on was painful on the accelerations, and I really feel the difference there. However, on the bad weather days I keep it in the low gear almost all the time, a de facto single speed. Ottawa cross is a great scene. Very friendly people. I have a fan base consisting of two guys I bumped into at the Madison event who yell "go Utah, go Utah" when I roll by, in reference to my yet-to-be-changed license plate. I finish each race somewhere in the middle of the pack. Every race I aim to not get lapped by the leaders, and so far I have been successful, in part because the laps are Looooooong, like 10 minutes or more. The courses are awesome. Check out the run up on that hill people (photo credit to bobotron)!

2 comments:

Rob Young said...

Hey Will!

Glad you like my photo! Your two gear setup is great stuff. I've been racing single speed (when I get out).

I really like the courses as well, I wish I could have made it out to Almonte, it was really fun last year.

Unknown said...

I agree. For me, Almonte is the best venue of the courses I've raced here, as it has the most three dimensionality and varied terrain. I missed the Kingston race though, which I heard was also good.