Saturday, December 01, 2007

Turbulence and Coffee

So am flying to Chicago today amid the big snowy system covering all USA. The flight is so early that I don't have time for my morning coffee. United's computer system is down so the ticketing line is fucking long, and I barely make my flight. So I'm on the plane without coffee or breakfast. After waiting forever to take off we are aloft with too much turbulence to get any coffee in economy class. All the while the bourgeoisie class is getting showered with what looks like lattes and mochas. Finally, the turbulence subsides and the guy comes around and I ask for not one but two cups of coffee for good measure. He obliges and goes on to the next row and BAM, more turbulence and the drink guys pack it up.

So there I am with two cups of coffee, one in each hand, hovering over my laptop. I am trapped in a prison of my own making. I can't put down either cup anywhere and I don't want to spill anything on the computer. And so begins the dance. Bobbing and weaving, putting the cups on a linear trajectory through space while the plane (and me) bounces around them...

3 comments:

jcox said...

Amazing that you were able to type that posting with your hands occupied - were you using your nose? I can picture the scene perfectly.

jcox said...

Were the bourgeoise actually getting showered by their froufrou coffee drinks, as I am imagining?

I'm wrapping up my 'cross season this weekend. That is, unless we get some local January races set up.

Unknown said...

Regarding the bourgeoisie. Yes, they were getting served fancy drinks of the milky variety in proper cups (probably not glass vis a vis 9/11) while the fasten seat belt sign was on in the regular cabin. Note the recent article in NYT about the widening gap in economy vs business class: http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/travel/25conflict.html

So Justin. I just got offered a postdoc in Ottawa, which would put me ~250 miles from Boston (if I were a flying crow, that is).

So I hear that Stacy any You are expecting a third. Congratulations!!!!!!!!