Friday, August 11, 2006

Fat tire "fun"

Just thought I'd share my nervous energy with y'all - I'm racing in the 24 hours of Great Glen starting tomorrow at noon, teamed with fellow single-speeder Billy Vandervalk of the Cape-Able bike shop in Kennebunkport, ME. I've had about a month to prepare, which is when the training guides all say "your endurance base should be all set, now just do some fast rides and keep motivated." And this week has been all tapering. Ben, you'll recognize my training strategy - it's been loosely based on the one we used in preparation for our stellar performance in the Elk Mountains.
In the name of conditioning I did do a mountain bike race last weekend, a 24-miler that consisted of approximately 18 miles of barely-rideable root-fest, generally laid out such that if you put your foot down it meant walking the next 1/4 mile until the next reasonably smooth and flat section. So that happened. It was actually "fun," though.
I'll let you know how it goes. Today I'm just trying to keep my fuel tank topped off and not daydream too much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So how did it go?

Marg said...

Cool man, I sat and watched that race one year. We yelled "ooooo-p!" as everyone went over the big bumps on the "skills course" section. There's an aerobie ring in that pond if you care to look for it. I recently indoctrinated 2 more people into the "bacon and chocolate sauce" school of thought.