Saturday, July 22, 2006

the new steed



At last, my new bike is finished. Lucky for me, Will decided to rebuild this bike that he found in a trash heap at Friday Harbor. It's too bad we didn't take a before picture of this bike because it's undergone quite a transformation. Some of you saw it: the yellow paint, the peeling stickers. The original plan was to ugly it up even more with the gold and black saddle, orange bar tape. But good taste won out and Will set about to get the thing sandblasted and sanded and repainted to match the saddle: black with gold detailing.



I don't know enough about bikes to tell you the techy details (W. will have to chime in) but it's a single speed. That I know. And it's gorgeous.

There have been many wardrobe suggestions in relation to this bike. From my sister: gold pants. But then she reconsidered because the gold pants might make my ass look big and suggested black pants with a gold top. From Will: a gold helmet with wings along the side. The possibilities are endless, I think.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Basically this bike started as a saddle that I got at a yard sale. I've never seen such a cool seat, all sparkley... Once I had the saddle I just found an old bike and build around that with odd parts that I found. Highlights from the constuction were sandblasting it, polishing the headset with emory paper, and repacking the bearings. I geared it low for a road bike with 36 ring and 18 freewheel cog (2:1 ratio). The steel frame is very nice and quite light and the crank I used came off my speciallized stumpjumper with full XTR, so it is light as well. The wheels are of course questionable. One day M. may want to get a new set, but its OK for now...

lis said...

yes, I think the wings are a very good idea for me since i'm such a slowpoke bike rider. I can fool people with the wings, make them think i'm going really fast.

Lisa B. said...

OOOH!aaaaah! very pretty.